Happy Birthday, Jane Austen!

Please join me in celebrating the life and work of Jane Austen -- born 239 years ago today! And her profile is still the most recognized in the world! 

She was born in Steventon Rectory, Hampshire, England, on this day in 1775. With siblings and parents previlant in her writings she conveys the stories of family life like no other author I know. 
I love reading her novels and finding short descriptions of daily activities, the characters taking tea, the servants behind the scenes providing the stage for the main players, just as they did in real life.
I will admit that I enjoy the novels' adaptations also. Gwyneth Paltrow as Emma, Sally Hawkins as Ann Elliot, Keira and Jennifer as Lizzy, Kate Winslet as Marianne. I'm entranced by these productions with their lovely costumes, gorgeous settings and amazing details!

And you know that I am always watching for those ever present tea time moments! The silver tea sets entering the room as Lady Catherine commands attention! The wedgewood breakfast set passed around the table as the Bennet women jabber at their father. Yes, Jane Austen does provide plenty of tea time moments in her books! At the center of almost every social situation in her novels one finds tea! Of course, tea was a staple in daily life then, it served as a occasion as well as a soothing drink.
I'm honoring Jane today, with a lovely pot of tea! Won't you join me? I'm sure that Jane wouldn't mind if we took her chore for the day, and made tea. Yes, she was indeed in charge of the tea. She was the keeper of the key, as the tea was locked away due to its cost. She drank Chinese green and black teas, there were no other teas imported at that time. So let's steep a rich pot of Chinese black tea, with milk and sugar in her honor!
Tea with Jane Tea Cozy Collection

I had the pleasure of celebrating the author's birthday with two dozen other admirers. The Jane Austen Society has a branch here in PA. and I could finally squeeze time out of my schedule to attend one of their functions! We sang happy birthday, enjoyed a slice of cake and played a lively game of "Jingo" in her honor. A good time was had by all!

If you would like to hold your own Jane Austen party, might I suggest these two blogs to you. These are two of the best party themes and ideas I have come across in the past several years! Lots of decor and favor ideas, I just love it!
Jane Austen Party by "Dear Lillie"
Jane Austen Party by "Be Book Bound"
And if you would like your own Jane Austen Bingo to play, please click here! It goes well with tea, Of course!                  
Are you a Jane Austen fan? Have you set a tea table in Jane's honor? My fans and I would just love to see a photo!  Please feel free to share and pin! Click here to join the pinterest board



Comments