Monday, January 7, 2013

An Elegant Afternoon with the Earl

The countdown has begun and I am preparing my tea party to celebrate the return of Lord & Lady Grantham of Downton Abbey! Yes, like millions of people around the world, I have become obsessed with the upstairs family and downstairs staff.
Season three premiers tonight, and after a long crazy week of family illness, packing and working, I settled in to putting together a simple afternoon tea. I wanted to relax and enjoy a friendly atmosphere of conversation, tea and food.
If the Earl could have joined me, I would try to console him over the loss of his fortune, remind him of his devoted wife, get some details of the upcoming wedding and find out if he really is ready to shake hands with his new son-in-law the ex chauffeur.

Pulling a tea party together for a friend can be a fun and easy thing to do. My mantra is use what you have and decide on a theme that will help you get it together!

My tea party theme is simple elegance and silver, a traditional nod to our favorite Downton Abbey characters.

First things first, pretend your home is your favorite "Homegoods" store. Walk around the house and grab everything that catches your eye and will work with your theme! You can edit from the stash later!
I grabbed the silver tea set and my silver tiered server. They just spoke 'elegance' to me.

Then I grabbed a floor length table cloth and an organza table runner, giving me the simple cream color I was looking for.

Remember, I said that a tea party should be easy to pull together? Spontaneous even! That means you don't always have to go all out when setting the table, especially if it's just tea for two.

I used my small round table and put a taller plant stand behind it. This kept the table area small and intimate, easy to carry a conversation and to serve tea and treats.

What tea did I serve? Well, Earl Grey of course! In honor of his Lordship :) Check back on Thursday for more about the menu and tea served at my "Elegant Afternoon with the Earl" tea party.




1 comment:

  1. OOhh how elegant. I can smell the brewing earl Grey tea... the fragrance of Bergamot.. heavenly!
    Now I am curious as to what will be served on that elegant tiered server...
    Cheers, Gee

    ReplyDelete

Have "Sharing Life over Tea" delivered right to your feed reader or Inbox. Subscription links are located at the top right. Thanks so much for your comments. I love hearing your thoughts and ideas! I moderate comments so don't worry if your comment doesn't post immediately. This blog is a happy place, a drama-free zone. :) In that regard, comments that are mean-spirited or possibly hurtful to our much-loved visitors, will not be posted. Thanks always for your comment. You are the very best part of Sharing Life over Tea